Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background Checks in Higher Ed?

From: Don Westlight <westligh () OHSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:36:15 -0700

Yep.  Criminal and Financial, and pretty much everybody.

We're also a Hospital, and I think this is what is driving the
requirement.

-Don Westlight
Oregon Health & Science University

Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU 6/23/2004 5:14:21 AM >>>
Hi...

I heard recently that some institutions of higher ed are now beginning
to institute background checks for some staff and faculty. Does anyone
do this - or know who does? I hear that some institutions do simple
checks (financial and criminal) for their security personnel and sys
admins (in key positions) and some do simple screens for their faculty
and staff. Coming from an industry background, I have seen this done
in
aerospace and financial sectors (and some in health care), but not in
education. If anyone is doing this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM
Director, IT Security, Brown University
Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB
PGP Fingerprint: DA5F ED84 06D7 1635 4BC7  560D 9A07 80BA 91E3 8EFB