Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: questions re Microsoft updates?

From: Scott Fendley <scottf () UARK EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:24:23 -0500

Well from my point of view (University of Arkansas and connections within
the Internet Storm Center @SANS),  this months round of patches appears to
have been a rush job.

There were 4 announced security bulletins, a re-release of a number of
others involving Exchange Server  And a bonus patch that relates to
MS04-004 issues.  The CHM Internet Explorer vulnerability may have been
fixed, but you wouldn't know that for sure unless you looked at the  CVE or
CAN notes  tied to each of the MS Vulnerabilities.

Other then the slowness of patches coming down, and that the Outlook patch
tends to fail the first try (while patching the other 4), it was not as bad
as it could have been.  However I have heard a single note that said
something to the effect that the rpc patch might be breaking more things
then it fixes....I do not have any supporting evidence to that
though.  Overall I am sitting on hitting production servers and hope we do
not have a 0day worm come out later this week.  Workstations i think should
be okay to patch.

Scott Fendley