Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: URGENT: bot net with keylogger

From: Eli Dart <dart () NERSC GOV>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:24:03 -0700

Gary Flynn wrote:

I hope I didn't ruin somebody's investigation by posting that
site info. I thought it might be important for people to
know to block that site. I'm seeing incoming IM messages
carrying that link on an ongoing basis now. Its hard to
know when to keep quiet about sources and details to aid
law enforcement and when to post information that may keep
more machines from being compromised.

I hadn't disclosed that information publicly to the list because at the
moment it is the only static piece of intelligence on the botnet.  We've
shut the botnet down 3 times now already and "itr"'s determination at
keeping the network alive by changing IRC networks was what prompted
that decision.  We'll have to hope "itr" doesn't subscribe to EDUCAUSE-sec.

Hmmm....if this list is going to be used for real-time (or
quasi-real-time) discussion of operational security issues and
incidents, subscriptions _must_ be vetted.  Otherwise, the attackers
will be able to see what you do as you do it.  If they can't now,
it's only a matter of time till they figure it out.

Not sure what the criteria should be for subscription (I2 member?
Connected to I2?  R&E Network infrastructure?).....  I only fit into
the last category (NERSC networking and security -- NERSC is a DOE
entity, but having cross-pollination is a Good Thing in my book).

Anyway, I could be off in left hyperspace here, but Gary's comment
made me think the issue worth raising....

                --eli