Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Incident Response Procedures

From: Clyde Hoadley <hoadleyc () MSCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:56:57 -0600

We are probably a little bit behind the curve on this
one too.  I recently downloaded the "NIST Computer
Security Incident Handling Guide #800-61".
http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-61/sp800-61.pdf

I'm also attaching something that came across one of
the lists I'm on that might be helpful - I don't remember
which list it came across - I am not the author.

I'm also attaching the current Worm Clean up procedure
that we are using here.

--
Clyde Hoadley, CISSP
Security & Disaster Recovery Coordinator

Jason Brooks wrote:

We are working on formulating an Incident Response Policy and Procedure.
We've scoured the net and found little that aids us in the Higher Ed sector;
most are geared for business.  So, not wanting to unnecessarily reinvent the
wheel, we are soliciting input.

Does anyone have any IRP/Procedures that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,
Jason Brooks

Jason Brooks
Information Security Technician
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909
(434) 395-2034
mailto:brooksje () longwood edu

Recommendations for cleaning the Korgo worm
(v1.3, 07/14/04 09:21)

This procedure can also be used effectively to clean
viruses and worms other than Korgo.

Notify Clyde of any necessary changes.

1) Bring a CD that has the clean up tools and critical patches (both
   W2K and XP) on it.  See James Eck.

     The following "Critical" patches all need to be applied.
     This list does not include "Moderate" or "Important" patches.

     MS03-041 823182
     MS03-042 826232 (W2K only)
     MS03-043 828035
     MS03-044 825119
     MS03-049 828749 (W2K only)
     MS04-007 828028
     MS04-004 832894
     MS04-008 832359 (W2K only)
     MS04-011 835732
     MS04-012 828741
     MS04-013 837009
     MS04-022 841873
     MS04-023 840315

2) Physically disconnect the computer from the network.

3) Logon as the local Administrator

4) Disable System Restore (XP only) [you must be Administrator]
   ^^^ this is very important to do.

     a) Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer
     b) Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
     c) Click the System Restore tab.
     d) Check the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System
        Restore on all drives" check box
     e) Click Apply
     f) Click Yes to remove all restore points
     g) Click OK

5) Boot the computer into Safe mode - no networking.

6) Log on as the local Administrator

   (the utils "pslist.exe, psservices.exe and fport.exe on the CD
    can be used to list out running processes and services.
    fport.exe will list out what programs have network connections.
    The pskill.exe program can be used to kill off a running process.
    These must be run from the CMD command prompt.)

7) Run the Norton FixKorgo.exe and any other Norton clean up
   tools from the CD-ROM.  It may be necessary to us the pslist.exe
   and pskill.exe tools to kill the running virus/worm before the
   clean up tools can repair the computer.

8) Run the McAfee stinger.exe tool from the CD-ROM

9) Install all of the patches in proper order (oldest to newest)
   from the CD-ROM.

     The following "Critical" patches all need to be applied.
     This list does not include "Moderate" or "Important" patches.

     MS03-041 823182
     MS03-042 826232 (W2K only)
     MS03-043 828035
     MS03-044 825119
     MS03-049 828749 (W2K only)
     MS04-007 828028
     MS04-004 832894
     MS04-008 832359 (W2K only)
     MS04-011 835732
     MS04-012 828741
     MS04-013 837009
     MS04-022 841873
     MS04-023 840315

10) Reconnect the computer to the network

11) Reboot.  Logon as local Administrator.

12) Insure Norton has the latest definitions and its update
    service is pointing to our Norton update service (CVA should
    get their updates directly from Norton).  Insure Norton is
    running.

13) Run a full Norton scan of all local drives.

14) Insure that automatic update is installed, running, pointing
    to our SUS service (CVA should point to Microsoft).

15) Install (if not already installed) and run SpyBot spyware
    removal tool.

16) Insure you can visit the Symantic, McAfee, MicroSoft and
    MSCD web sites.
    (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/)
    (http://vil.nai.com/VIL/newly-discovered-viruses.asp)
    (http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/default.mspx)
    (http://metroconnect.mscd.edu/)

    If NOT, verify network connectivity with "nslookup 147.153.15.11"
    and "ping clem.mscd.edu".

    If there is connectivity then check the local hosts file

    (W2K) "type C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
    (XP)  "type C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

    It should only contain "127.0.0.1   localhost" and nothing else.
    Use notepad to remove anything else.

    Reboot and re-test the above URL's

Metaphorical discussion aside, maybe it would be more productive to
start with a basic incident response methodology and kick it around a
little bit.  I have one that I have used - it is for Windows only, and
its pretty basic, but maybe it's a starting point.  I'll also say that
it only lists the basic data collection steps, and nothing about how to
actually anaylze the data - I assume that a trained IR engineer will be
doing the work.

At risk of some putz flaming or otherwise criticizing me, I'll go ahead
and post it.  At least if everyone who said "help me! help me!" on the
list submitted the data collected below, it would be easier for people
to respond.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk, no warranty expressed or implied,
IANAL (I Am Not A Laywer), this is not the best methodology in the
world, and is only a starting point, etc. etc. etc.  There are better
tools out there, and this doesn't really take into account crafty
rootkits, but in my experience, most so called "hacks" aren't much more
than pubstros and IRC/FTP servers.

Also, note that this assumes you have already made a bootable forensic
CD with all the software, as well as "known safe" command interpreters,
etc.

Mark Lachniet

--------8<-------------

Phase I - Preparation (Update forensics toolkit)

1) Download updated virus signatures for F-prot at
http://www.datafellows.com/download-purchase/updates_manual.shtml#dos

2) Download updated versions of Anti-trojan at
http://www.anti-trojan.net/en/download.aspx

3) Burn a CD-R version of the Forensics CD and label it with date it was
created

4) Obtain as much information as possible ahead of time from the victim
including:

a. Detailed information about the event (email threads, logs, screen
captures, etc.)
b. Target system information (IP Address, operating system, patch level,
hardware)
c. Target system utilization (is it a running server?  Can it be taken
down?  Who uses the system, and how can they be contacted?)
d. Target network configuration (network maps, IP plans)
e. Target network logging sources (operating system, routers, firewalls,
IDS, etc.)
f. Detailed contact information (phone numbers, cell/pager numbers,
email addresses, etc.)
g. Obtain administrator passwords, others as needed to access the target
systems
h. If possible, perform a vulnerability assessment on the host ahead of
time
i. Do research, as needed, to prepare for the analysis
j. Obtain at least ten (10) blank, formatted, unused floppy disks
k. Obtain at least one pad of paper, pens, etc.

5) Read RFC 3277 "Guidelines for Evidence Collection and Archiving"

6) Discuss the situation and goals of the analysis with the target's
administrative staff

a. Advise the client that you cannot provide legal advice of any kind,
and that they may wish to involve their legal counsel if they feel it is
appropriate
b. What is the server used for?
c. What is the criticality of the data on the server?
d. What is the criticality of data not on the server, but in the
environment (other servers with critical data that could also be hacked)
e. When was the problem discovered?  Who discovered it?
f. What has been done since that time?
g. What type of system backups exist?  What program were they created
with?  Have they been tested?  How far back do the backups go?
h. What is the ideal outcome of this process?  Prosecution?  Concerns
with internal employees?  Stopping further attacks?
i. Discuss issues of data preservation (i.e., there are two ways to
approach the analysis - with a foot print or without.  With a foot print
has a chance of altering critical evidence, but is less expensive and
can be used on production servers.  Without foot print means imaging the
disk and working with a forensic disk analysis tool which is outside of
the scope of this service)
j. If legal recourse is strongly desired, discuss with the client the
need for an additional set of eyes (and intials) during the process.  If
desired, the client will need to sit with the forensic analyst at all
times, and "sign off" on each task that was performed, as it was
performed.
k. Discuss how the incident will be treated with other employees - is
the analysis a "secret" or is it openly known?
l. Record the highlights of all information discussed with the customer
in steps a-j, and re-state them to the client to confirm that you are in
agreement

Phase II  - Data Collection (Manual Analysis on running server)

1) Perform an external vulnerability assessment
a. Full port scan, identify all running services
b. Perform google searches on the DNS name and IP address
c. Also check black-list and open proxy lists for IP address

2) Prepare for analysis of volatile information (Floppy Disk analysis)

a. Insert the CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive
b. Label a floppy disk with the customer name, date, computer name, IP
address, your name, and the title "Disc#1".  Repeat this labeling format
for subsequent discs (#2, #3, etc.)
c. Insert the floppy disk in the floppy drive (if possible, otherwise
run these steps to a shared directory on your laptop)
d. Using paper and pen, start your activity log.  Title the first page
with the same information as the floppy disc (customer name, date,
computer name, IP address, your name).  Also create the following
columns:

Date/Time               Description                             Initials

Use this format to record the work that you perform.  If the customer
has

3) Perform the analysis of volatile information (Floppy Disk analysis)

a. Run the appropriate command interpreter on the CD-ROM.  For Windows
2000 and 4.0 servers, this will be in 'X:\cmd2k' and on Windows 98 will
be 'X:\cmd98\command.com'

b. Capture the date and time of the system
i. date /t > a:\datetime.txt
ii. time /t >> a:\datetime.txt

c. Record the date and time of the computer, as well as the "real" date
and time (a reliable clock, etc) in your written notes.  Note the time
delta between system time and "real" time.  Also note the time zone
where the analysis is taking place.

d. Capture information about running processes using pslist:
i. d:\pstools\pslist -t > a:\pslistt.txt
ii. d:\pstools\pslist -x > a:\pslistx.txt

e. Capture information about logged on users using psloggedon:
i. d:\pstools\psloggedon > a:\psloggedon.txt

f. Capture netstat information using netstatp:
i. d:\netstatp\release\netstatp -a -n > a:\netstatp.txt

g. Capture listening ports to program mappings with fportng
i. d:\fportng\fport > a:\fport.txt

h. Capture open file handles, first in brief, then in full (compressed)
i. d:\handle\handle > a:\handle.txt
ii. d:\handle\handle -a | d:\unix\gzip > a:\handle-all.gz

i. Capture file system MAC times:
i. Insert a new, blank floppy disk
ii. d:\perl\perl.exe \sfile\sfile.pl -d c:\ | \unix\gzip > a:\sfile.gz

j. Capture AT (command scheduler) information
i. at > a:\at.txt

k. Capture NBTstat information:
i. nbtstat -c > a:\nbtstat.txt

l. Capture 'net' information:
i. echo Net Accounts: > a:\net.txt
ii. net accounts >> a:\net.txt
iii. echo Net File:  >> a:\net.txt
iv. net file >> a:\net.txt
v. echo Net Session:  >> a:\net.txt
vi. net session >> a:\net.txt
vii. echo Net Share: >> a:\net.txt
viii. net share >> a:\net.txt
ix. echo Net Start:  >> a:\net.txt
x. net start >> a:\net.txt
xi. echo Net Use:  >> a:\net.txt
xii. net use >> a:\net.txt
xiii. echo Net User:  >> a:\net.txt
xiv. net user >> a:\net.txt
xv. echo Net View: >> a:\net.txt
xvi. net view >> a:\net.txt

m. Create MD5 hashes of operating system files:
i. C:
ii. Cdiii. Echo **** C:\ **** > a:\md5.txt
iv. D:\ircr\md5sum *.*  >> a:\md5.txt
v. Echo **** C:\WINNT **** >> a:\md5.txt
vi. Cd\winntvii. D:\ircr\md5sum *.*  >> a:\md5.txt
viii. Echo **** C:\WINNT\SYSTEM **** >> a:\md5.txt
ix. Cd\winnt\system
x. D:\ircr\md5sum *.*  >> a:\md5.txt
xi. Echo **** C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 **** >> a:\md5.txt
xii. Cd\winnt\system32
xiii. D:\ircr\md5sum *.*  >> a:\md5.txt

4) Back up large files (Network)

a. Create a data directory on your hard drive
i. mkdir c:\data

b. Map a network drive FROM the laptop TO the target server's C:
i. net use o: \\<<ipaddress>>\c$ /user:administrator *

c. Copy IIS logs to your laptop:
i. xcopy o:\winnt\system32\LogFiles\*.* c:\data /s/e/v

d. Copy Windows Event logs to your laptop*:
i. xcopy o:\winnt\system32\config\*.evt c:\data /s/e/v

e. Copy any suspicious materials to your laptop.  Items to consider may
include the contents of FTP directories, HTML files, log files,
suspicious application software, etc.

5) Scan the target for viruses and Trojans (if possible, boot to boot CD
to do this)

a. Run F-Prot from the CD-ROM drive:
i. d:\f-prot\f-prot /hard > a:\fprot.txt

b. Install and run Anti-Trojan on the investigator's laptop
i. Ensure that the "Remove found Trojans" check box is UN-checked
ii. Run a "filescan" scan of the mapped O: drive

6) Identify and analyze other sources of information, including e-mail,
firewalls, routers, switches, etc. to locate additional information
about the event

7) Run 'dumpreg' to dump the Windows Registry to disk (optional - to
find installed software by date of registry entry)

8) Run 'filemon' to monitor ongoing file accesses (optional - if you
believe the system is actively being used by hackers, or want to track
suspicious system activity)

9) Run 'regmon' to monitor ongoing registry accesses (optional - if you
believe the system is actively being used by hackers, or want to track
suspicious system activity)

10) Run 'tdimon' to monitor ongoing TCP/IP activity (optional - if you
want to track TCP/IP activity by process)

Phase III  - Data Analysis

1) Analyze collected data (TBD)
2) Additional follow-up as needed

Phase IV  - Author and Deliver Report

1) Using provided template, author an incident response report
2) Present the report to the client
3) Discuss findings, limitations, next steps