Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Assessments and Network Access

From: "Schmidt, Eric W" <erschmid () IUPUI EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:48:15 -0500

Here at the IU School of Medicine we decided we couldn't afford the cost of HIPAA consultants so we developed our own
baseline security assessment tool.  It is based on a tool developed by the North Carolina HHS and was available for use
out on their web site.  We adapted the tool to match the final security rule since the North Carolina toolwas written
for the proposed rule and we're almost finished with our initial assessment phase now.  The IT and business
administrators for all of our various departments, offices, and centers have all used the tool as a self-assessment.
The results of each departments assessment will be rolled up into a school-wide report in the next month or so.
Department reports will be prepared as well as a gap analysis report to help the school's executive leadership
determine where to best deploy our limited resources to help us comply with the rule.  If anyone's interested let me
know and I'll be glad to share the assessment tool.  The tool is basically several spreadsheets.  One spreadsheet
allows the user to determine compliance with each specification of the rule, the other spreadsheet is a central area to
capture all specific policy, procedures, and documentation supporting each specification of the rule.  One spreadsheet
provides a summary of the compliance and another spreadsheet contains reference information for the entire rule.  So
far it's been a lot better than a $100,000+ bill from a consultant group....

Eric W. Schmidt, CISSP, CISM
Chief Security Officer
Indiana University School of Medicine