Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

week-long DDoS problem

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:04:04 -0500

Have any of you been catching bursts of DDoS activity emanating from
infected Windows PC's around campus during the last ~7 days?

Each burst here has been about 4-5 systems, all focused on one host at
a small California ISP.

We've had about 4-5 rounds of activity occur here in recent days, and
those participating machines we've inspected seem, at first reports
from those who inspect them, to contain different agents.  Since we're
not certain if one agent is common to all, it's slowing our ability to
block them.