Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:29:14 -0400

Our experience has been that most virus laden ZIP files are password
protected, with the password sent either in the same email via plain
textt or a JPG attachment.  We have setup our system to extract and scan
compressed files (zip, rar, etc.) attachments  for viruses.  Infected
files within normail compressed files are caught and blocked.  If  the
system is unable to uncompress the file for scanning purposes because of
a password or corruption problem, we block them..  Of course you must
work within the constraints of your particular software options, so if
this is not possible with your software, you will likely want to
"wish-list" this functionality.

---
Dave Koontz
Associate Director CIS
Mary Baldiwin College

Gary Flynn wrote:

John C Borne wrote:

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find
any direct mention of this specific issue recently.

We have a problem with viruses penetrating the campus "under the
radar" so
to speak. Before a new virus is detected and the anti-virus update is
written, received, and distributed, we have a window of
vulnerability. In
the past we have lost a considerable amount of time repairing these
outbreaks. The vector for many of these infections has been through
attachments especially .ZIP's. At first we were intermittently blocking
.zip and other attachments; going back and forth between blocking and
accepting as each new virus appeared. We found that keeping the zip's
blocked had a big impact on minimizing the impact of new virii.

We've gotten to the point where we cringe at the thought of unblocking
.zip's and would like to make it permanent. Before I propose this to the
administration, I wanted to see if anyone could comment on whether they
are, or are not, blocking zip's and other attachments and if not, what
other solutions they have considered.

John,

Our experience mirrored yours. We blocked them intermittently as
circumstances dictated. Two rounds of MyDoom ago, we left them
unblocked and the results convinced us to leave them blocked.
They've now been blocked for several weeks and we have no plans
to unblock them. I have heard of no complaints yet.

That said, if our mail server software was intelligent enough
to look inside the zips and just block those with executable
attachments and those it can't examine we'd prefer to do that.
If you're running an open source mail gateway, I think there
are products able to do that.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer