Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint and Cisco IDSM2 IPS offerings (cross-posted to NETMAN)

From: Eric Van Wiltenburg <vanwilt () UVIC CA>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:16 -0700

David,

I evaluated the appliance version of the Cisco product in January, which
is almost the same as the IDSM blade.  Features may have changed since
then.

There were two things that I really didn't like about it:
 - the management interface is horrible
 - it cannot run in 'inline' mode, meaning prevention capabilities are
limited

I've recently installed the NAI/McAfee IntruShield 4000 at our campus
edge.  Other models, like the 2600, are being considered for
departmental applications.  As I become more comfortable putting rules
in blocking (as opposed to detection) mode, I'm finding this device
extremely valuable and effective.

Three things I really liked about this product:
        - throughput is 2Gb/s, important when connecting to external
research networks (ie I2, CA*net, etc)
        - management interface is decent
        - runs in inline mode

We can discuss in more detail via unicast if you wish.

Eric van Wiltenburg
Senior Network Security Analyst
UVic Network Services
vanwilt () uvic ca