Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Program Development / Staffing survey - Not social engineering.

From: James Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:59:57 -0400

Good point, although I can think of better information, like some of
what has been floating along the list regarding vulnerability scanners
in use, IDSs in use, etc.  It is a safe assumption that the bad guys are
on the list, and listening.  That is why people more often voice this
kind of question through forums of FIRST, I4, or ESF.  But participation
in those venues, often implies a maturing, rather than starting program.

But most people on Educause Security list know me.  I was on the progam
committee for this year's Educause Security Professionals Workshop.

In years of tight budgeting, it is difficult to grow an information
security program.  I tried 2 years ago with benchmarking.  I followed
with an information security posture assessment (also documented for
Educause, and in their archives).  I am trying again with benchmarking.

I imagine that there are other people who have been trying to start
information security programs ever since GLBA, and have found themselves
wanting/needing to expand, but without resources.  Then they want to be
proactive, but can't over commit, or risk the credibility of the
program.  I am gathering this information for myself.  I can see its
broader use, as well.

Jim