Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Disaster Recovery

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:05:30 -0500

Some of you may be involved directly in disaster recovery planning.
(IMHO, most of you should be involved, if you're not, as a member of any
recovery team.)

Anyway, I'm seeking general information about cost (monthly fee and
balloon payment at the point where you actually need to use the service)
of contracting with external services for a variety of DR service
levels, from just cold sites with infrastructure in place waiting for
systems and data and applications to be brought in, to warm-sites with
systems in place waiting for data and applications to be brought in, to
hot-sites with systems and spinning disks already mirrored with data and
applications.

FYI -- our recovery strategy involves recovery of the IU-Bloomington
data center to the IUPUI data center, 55 miles north, which is
brand-spanking-new and in which we are placing and reserving racks and
other infrastructure for this specific purpose, and recovering the IUPUI
data center to (up to) three rooms in our IU-Bloomington School of HPER,
in which we have already installed improved power, networking, and HVAC.
In case you're wondering why it isn't symmetric: there is absolutely no
environment capacity (power and HVAC) remaining in our IU-Bloomington
data center.  If anyone has $10 million to spare, you can get your name
on a new IT building and data center we're trying to get built at IUB.
:)

Thanks,
M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP, CISM

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Associate Director, Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research
(http://cacr.iu.edu)

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu