Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Justin Azoff <JAzoff () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:31:36 +0000

John Kristoff wrote:
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:22:17 +0000
Justin Azoff <JAzoff () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU> wrote:

I've found the easiest way to find them is to scan for 113: the virus is
dumb enough to start an ident server on the hacked machine.

Many bots do not install an ident process.  While you may find a high
ratio of bots to non-bots by looking for open TCP 113 ports (and UNIX
looking responses from Windows hosts on an IDENT port), you should
expect to miss a large class of potential bots.

Ah well, I guess your right... of the 410 with *bot viruses, 106 of them
also had port 113 open, and from the total 727, 225 had 113 open.

Finding bots by associating them with TCP ports is unreliable as
others have already mentioned.  While you can potentially find a
number of them looking for well known ports (e.g. TCP 6667), it
is not a very effective mitigation technique in the long run.  I'd
echo and expand on what Dave Monnier and others have said in finding
them.  You look for other anomalies such as large flow count to a set
number of ports indicating scanning, use IDS boxes like Snort for
content matches (e.g. IRC bots often have very common content if in
plain text or at least flow behavior patterns) and examine historical
data based on reports you get from others about your hosts.

Indeed, I have a number of scripts that mine data from a packetshaper
into a database to pick out problem hosts, and a scanner to verify if a
machine is compromised or not.

In addition to network traffic probing, capture or flow analysis, bots
often use some type of common control signal, such as a DNS name that
the miscreant can point bots at.  Knowing the control channel or how
to watch for them is very useful in mitigation efforts.

Finally, if you find a controller, please help get it shut down.

Has anyone ever had much luck getting non-US countries to respond to
complaints?  I tend to only send complaints to other universities, and
only rarely is the machine taking offline and I get a response back.

John

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Performance Analyst