Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [ICPL] Electronic Signatures

From: "King, Dennis C." <dck22 () ALFRED EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:05:21 -0400

Jim,

The Network Manager and I went through the "Trusted Third Party" method
to become Thawte Notaries so we could notarize user certificates to
contain their name.  You will find that it takes 50 points for a user to
add their name to a certificate and the most a notary can grant is 35
points.  If you want additional information, please reply to me
directly.

We are spreading the word about digitally signed mail and offering a
solution with a world wide CA at no cost rather than settin up a local
CA whose certificates are not always well accepted off campus.

Dennis

Dennis C King
Information Security Officer
Alfred University
McMahon 247 , Alfred, NY 14802
email: dck22 () alfred edu - phone: 607.871.2379