Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Two articles about open vs. proprietary source ( 2nd round)

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:23:48 -0700

Excellent artcles, Spaf. Thanks

Some additional security-related  points regarding open source for your
consideration:

- The development of lots of valuable security tools within the open
source community. Seems to me that the rapid adoption of network
registration and IDS among others was due in large part to open source
development and that it might well have taken longer for these responses
to evolving threats. Of course, the flip side is that a lot of hacking
tools are open sources as well!

- Secure remote access and encryption programs have, I believe
benefitted from the additional scrutiny when open source

Thanks again for the great read.

Jere