Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student paper "editorial" on robust passwords

From: "David Wall @ Yozons, Inc." <david.wall () YOZONS COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:58:58 -0700

MessageWell, the phrase you selected is probably pretty good, and if you have a system that locks out after a several
failures in a row, it's probably never going to be broken (assuming no keystroke loggers or the like are present).  But
that's because you're being conscientious.  But how many people will open the attachment you sent them unsolicited and
run the risk that they've been tricked?

You are a touch typist because few non-typists would be able to successfully type such a string easily and accurately
since it wouldn't be echoed back.  Heck, many can't even figure out when their caps lock is on!  Also, the password
policy in the joke commentary doesn't even give usable tips as you have suggested, only making a bunch of rules that a
regular joe wouldn't likely think of as a way to construct such a mnemonic.

As you are a computer expert who is likely familiar with security, you know and respect this.  Most other users look at
the long list of passwords to remember and figure a piece of paper is an easy tradeoff for remembering it all.  After
all, this policy is for only one such system, while the user will also have many others.  In fact other systems
probably won't accept your password because it won't meet their password quality standard.

Also, some smart folks who come up with my32yos#nir are doing well, except that they use it everywhere.  So the same
password is used in many systems in which the security of those passwords is not well established.  On some low
security sites that require logins (news sites, for example), they'll even helpfully remember the password in a cookie
for you, so if you suffer a cookie exploit, you'll give up that password which turns out to be used on many other sites
as well.

I personally have so many passwords that I use Password Safe, a free, open source Windows program developed initially
by crypto guru Bruce Schneier.  It's a nifty tool, but how many non-techies would ever consider such a thing?

Next, consider the obvious social attacks, including watching someone enter their password, asking them their password,
keyboard sniffers, etc.  You'd be amazed at how often people just give it up when asked.  We have people email us their
passwords when asking for support.

Many other system, including those at AOL (at least last year this was true), store the passwords in the clear in their
databases (or provide them in the clear to support personnel) since they can ask you want it is before they give you
support.  Most exploits are not done on individual accounts as much as they are done by hacks that give them access to
the database, and then they mine every password.  Recall the guy who sold the AOL database recently?

And never forget phishing/trojan attacks in which your nice password is conveniently entered into a rogue site for easy
capture....

More robust can mean less secure quite easily.  If something is so secure that it's a pain, people will break their own
security for convenience.  They will leave their expensive RSA token at their desks, or hold the door open for the
"delivery" man, or write their passwords down.  Thieves foil car alarms by triggering alarms enough times that the
owner turns it off to avoid more "false" alarms.  Doors are propped open "just for a minute" while they run to their
car or smoke a cigarette.  People leave their computers unattended while still logged on.

Anyway, my point was more with respect to the humor of it.  They probably weren't even suffering from any serious
password hacks when this policy was introduced.  And what sort of issues would crop up if someone did break into the
account.  It's important to balance the amount of security with the value of what's behind it.  If I can spend my
money, I'm more concerned than if I can look at more course schedule, for example.

David