Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cyberattacks Down?

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:15:05 -0800

A recent Network World story,
http://www.nwfusion.com/supp/2004/cybercrime/112904cybersecurity.html
reported that Cybercrime is down substantially. This surprised me. I
agree that security managers, if those on this list are representative
and our tools are better. However, I'm under the impression that the
threats, particularly mutating, spyware and phishing are rapidly getting
worse and there remain a large number of infected and unprotected
machines on the net that are breeding grounds and launch pads for
attacks.  I was of the opinion until I read this that the threats had
become so bad in health care we need to think about creating secure
overlay networks. What do you think? Thanks.