Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Role of Campus Police. Was: number of IT security staff

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:37:37 -0500

I think this is an interesting thread.  I was surprised to
learn, after a significant hack, that our police department
was not prepared to do any type of network or systems
forensics.  When we asked what we should do to protect any
evidence, they did not have an answer (and haven't answered).

There are several steps to a "cyber crime".
1) Recognizing that there has been a crime.  This is still
the IT area's responsiblity in many cases - agreed?
2) Mitigating the results of the crime - IT's responsibility.
3) Gathering and analyzing the evidence of the crime - whose
responsibility?
4) Tracking down the perpetrator and executing an arrest -
the responsibilty of the police

So for me, the question is:
Is there a body of knowledge on cybersecurity crime
forensics?  Where does one (either in IT or in the police
department) get that training?

Theresa Rowe
Assistant Vice President
University Technology Services