Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:07:24 -0600

I agree completely.  This reminds me of the signs around buildings during
the winter that say "caution falling ice".  These signs are placed on the
sidewalk, but no steps are taken to increase safety.  Perhaps they slightly
decrease the likelihood that a person injured from falling glass would sue
the building owner, but I doubt it.  I wonder if legal decisions suggest
that these types of disclaimers help defendants win their cases.