Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Peer to Peer Blocking

From: Jason Richardson <A00JER2 () WPO CSO NIU EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:26:14 -0600

We're also using a Packeteer packet shaper.  We don't squeeze the P2P
traffic down to nothing but we do throttle it back considerably.  The
copyright complaints haven't stopped but they have slowed down
substantially from last year and the year before that.  I don't know how
much of that we can attribute to packet shaping and how much should be
attributed to a change in tactics by the copyright holders and their
agents.  I was all for blocking the stuff outright two years ago when
users and universities were being sued (and threatened) but I couldn't
get buy in from management.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University
Voice: 815-753-1678
Fax: 815-753-2555
jasrich () niu edu

chris.steele () ANGELO EDU 03/07 10:36 AM >>>
We put a Packeteer in place about 3 years ago to squeeze the P2P
traffic so
it is basically unusable. It seems to be a pretty good deterrent so
far.

  _____