Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Admin Rights

From: Brian Fetcie <fetcieb () CANTON EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:24:17 -0500

Gary Flynn wrote:

We're looking at that now and haven't come up with any
global solution but I have a few strong opinions. :)

1. This is not an IT problem. This is an organizational management
   problem. A solution must be bought at the top and then "users
   (i.e. employees-gf) who feel that the computer is their's to do
   with as they wish" need to get an attitude adjustment.

   The desktop is an integral part of the information
   infrastructure and should and must be maintained as such.
   The whole idea of a personal computer in a work environment was
   out of date by the late 1980s and we should adjust our policies,
   procedures, and expectations accordingly.

   That is not to say that exceptions will not be necessary but
   I'll bet those cases will be in the single digits percentage
   wise. In the meantime, 90+ percent of the desktop
   resident/accessible information infrastructure is put at
   reduced risk.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer

Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

I definitely agree that the administration must support our plan. We'll
need to make sure they see why we need to do this so as to protect our
flanks. Whereas I expect most users to agree with our plans (perhaps
some will need a little more education than others), I do expect there
to be some diehards. They'll inevitably try to bring whatever pressure
they can to try and undermine us. Why, sometimes it almost sounds like a
war...

--
Brian Fetcie