Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Veritas Backup Exec Vulnerability

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () UFL EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:20:53 -0500

Sure; nmap will identify the servers running veritas, and metasploit
(http://www.metasploit.com/) can test the vulnerability.

(sample nmap output)
PORT     STATE SERVICE            VERSION
6101/tcp open  VeritasBackupExec?

~~WARNING~~
Of course, following with this thread, be extra careful with Novell
servers.

For the lazy:
(using nmap 3.75, the following works for me)

nmap -sV -O -p6101,6102 10.0.0.0/8 -oG -|grep \
'6101/open/tcp//VeritasBackupExec.*Windows'| awk '{print $2}'\
windows-veritas-servers.txt

Then just use that as an input file to metasploit.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer