Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Default Deny Policy at Internet Border

From: stanislav shalunov <shalunov () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:48:48 -0400

Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU> writes:

This reminds me of a vendor that sells scanning software saying that
we should not allow XP SP2 be installed so that they can scan ... it
is a factual, but really dumb solution to the problem :-)

Unbelievable.  While at it, why not leave guest accounts with
``guest'' password on all Unix systems so that the scanning software
can, um, better examine the system?  Are you at liberty to share the
name of the vendor (perhaps privately)?

As for looking at what machines are doing, we have taken the
approach that we don't really care WHAT you do, just HOW MUCH you do
it.  We have upload and download limits that are data agnostic
(legitimate users can apply for an exemption).  See
<http://www.columbia.edu/cu/policy/bandwidth.html> for details.  A
side effect of this is that we become aware very quickly of machines
that are scanning systems off of our network.

For what it's worth, I believe this to be the model approach to
dealing with the problem of network capacity abuse.  Implemented
right, too!  (Exceptions for local and Internet2 traffic.)

One thing we did do is implement a secure protocol initiative.  All
University (read central administration) servers will only accept
connections using secure protocols (no tcp, ftp, clear text
passwords, etc.) - we did this to cut down on password stealing. We
are trying to push non central server to do the same thing.

Good idea.

The only ports that we are blocking at the edge are those that are
used for windows file sharing - we decided to take the hit on this
one, since there were so many people scanning for open shares it was
beginning to affect our network - if you really have to share from
the outside, you can do it through our VPN.

I think blocking specific ports in order to break specific
well-defined applications is a fine practice.  Block port 23 with the
intent to get people off insecure telnet, and the easiest thing for
them might be to switch to SSH -- which would be the point.  (But the
same block would have missed the point if the intent were to stop
people from using remote login applications in general.)  Some ports
have to be blocked: printer-related ports are a good example, with
network printers being hardware devices incapable of implementing
proper access control.  But blocking specific ports to break specific
applications is a far cry from default-deny...

My 2 cents.

--
Stanislav Shalunov              http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

Just my 0.086g of Ag.