Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SPAM/spyware appliances or services

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:36:04 -0400

Gary Dobbins wrote:
Am curious to know who's using an appliance or an external service (as
distinct from software running on the MTA) to aggressively filter spam for
their campus.  Additionally, do any of you employ products which filter
spam from email traffic as well as filter spyware from HTTP; who's using
what?

We're using a Barracuda 400 for spam/virus filtering, and are quite
happy with it.  We are testing various DNS blackhole lists in our
internal DNS servers for spyware control, but we haven't reached a
verdict on this one yet (several 'false' or at least 'arguably false'
positives necessitating a growing whitelist).

Jeff