Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Pre-Scan or Scan-After

From: Tom Neiss <TNeiss () UAMAIL ALBANY EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:05:49 -0400

We are in the process of deciding on scanning for vulnerabities after connection (having went  through the necessary
authorization and authentication) to the network opposed to pre-scanning for them.  We are seeking best practices of
those that have chosen this route.  In addition we would like those that chose to pre-scan to share with us why you
made that decision.

We would appreciate your sharing with us....

If you have chosen to scan-after can you give me a url to you process?
Can you share any insight into your arriving at that decision?
If you chose to pre-scan, what were your deciding factors?
thanks,
tn

Thomas R. Neiss
Director of Telecommunications