Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

What's up with Yahoo messenger?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:45:34 -0400

Today I noticed an unusual number of "possible spambot" and "telnet scanning" alerts over the weekend.  In tracking
these down, I found almost all of the destinations were Yahoo!  Mostly 216.155.193.x and 66.163.172.x hosts.

In checking the packet payloads, it was Yahoo messenger.

On ports 20, 23, and 25?  Gee, this blows my security model astray.

Apparently this has been going on for some time.  I found this little reference at
http://www.wackyb.co.nz/menu/Yahoo_Messenger_v6_Connection_Issues/ :

Basic Connection:
Protocol:               TCP or HTTP
Servers:                scs.msg.yahoo.com
                        scsa.msg.yahoo.com
                        scsb.msg.yahoo.com
                        scsc.msg.yahoo.com
Port:           20, 23, 25, 80, 119, 5050
                        (also 8001, 8002)

Does this surprise anyone else as it did me?

Do you make provisions to allow for Yahoo IM even though you might block some of those ports?

Jeff