Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Updates and Cisco Clean Access

From: "Atif Azim (atif)" <atif () CISCO COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:13:08 -0700

This is correct. CCA allows administrators to use hostnames instead of
the ip addresses as access policies in the temporary or quarantine
roles.

With regards to the folks who have been having windows update problems,
this is because Microsoft has added a new domain to windows updates.
They now host files on servers with names ending in
"update.microsoft.com".

To fix the issues you are seeing, please add "update.microsoft.com" with
the operator "ends" to their list of host-based policies for the
temporary or quarantine Role.

Remember to perform an "ipconfig /flushdns" on your test client machine
before trying to see if this works or not.  The reason is that the clean
access server needs to see the initial DNS responses before it puts the
corresponding IPs on the allow list.

If you have further questions on how this works or other topics please
send an email to cca-questions () external cisco com.

Regards,

Atif Azim
Cisco Clean Access