Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Telecommuting risks and guides

From: James H Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:43:25 -0500

Again, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and I like to benchmark when
possible.

From some of the potential impacts of everything from gas prices to bird
flu and quarantines, there seems to be more reasons to better at
telecommuting soon.

We have VPNs.  We have site licensed anti-virus with home use
provisions.   And telecommuting is good for university laptops.  But
when you get to home computers, what is best.  We have problems with
mapping drives to home computers, and for people who don't run
anti-virus effectively, or don't know how to do the VPN through their
home firewalls.  But with mapping drives to home computers, then we have
risks of viruses and worms that spread through shares. Some people, are
leaving their work desktops on, and using VPN and doing RDP to their
desktop.  This is like a lightweight, distributed terminal services.

I am looking for awareness/tutorial information.  I am also looking at
alternatives, and some risks involved.

VMWare ACE has been suggested as a possibility to provide a secure, and
pre-configured virtual environment.  Anyone have any experience?

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4122 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"We will have a chance, when we are as efficient at communicating
information security best practices, as the hackers and criminals are at
sharing attack information"  - Peter Presidio