Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bare Social Social Security Numbers

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:52:05 -0500

H. Morrow Long wrote:

The following are advertised on Google:

Social Security Numbers
Lookup SSN Number online.
Get instant access now.
www.SSN-Finder.com

Reverse SSN Lookup
Enter a name or SSN & get info.
Start with your preliminary search.
www.civilrecords.org

Find Annyone by SSN #
Money Back Guarantee
Locate Someone Today only $19.95
socialsecuritysearchusa.com

SSN #s Lookup.
Lookup SSN #. Verify People Info,
Contacts, Background Check, More.
www.check-ssn.com

SSN Verification
SSN Verification Solutions. Aliases
Addresses And Phone Numbers.
www.ewoss.com

I vote we make all SSN and names public knowledge so they'll
be worthless as a basis on which to make a decision. Then,
when companies, governments, and organizations can no longer
use them as authenticators, they become worthless. ;)

Given the list of *known* incidents on the privacyrights.org
site and all the stuff for sale, we may be halfway there already.

There is also an interesting project involving SSNs at CMU:
    http://privacy.cs.cmu.edu/dataprivacy/projects/ssnwatch/
identitytheft.html

I wonder how many people type their SSN into that site.

I wonder if queries are written to log files. ( Listserv
archives, google searches, and newsgroups are probably
treasure troves of IP Address <-> person correlations.
Anyone know of any research on this? I've always been
opposed to NAT but now I'm not so sure. )

I wonder how robust the application is and how its
maintained. When I tried I got...

Error: 404 HTX Not Found
The HTX file specified in the query request was not found.

On a side note, we had a recent scare on campus where a faculty
member had created an example database using real student names
combined with a set of SSNs, addresses, phone numbers, etc. that  were
made up.  ...

We've had similar things happen here.

BTW - It looks to me like the current and proposed laws define a lowest
common denominator in care. While a list of SSNs by themselves are not
covered, if they're a list of SSNs in a single class or club, there are
obvious risks even without explicit name lists that common sense may
suggest avoiding.

And I have yet to figure out why an encrypted database should be
exempted from disclosure if the system on which it resides is
compromised at the root or administrative level.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer