Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive Disposal

From: Tristan RHODES <TristanRhodes () WEBER EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:41:00 -0700

I'm not sure if you are talking about physically damaging the hard drive
or simply removing all traces of data on the drives.

If the latter, here is a great tool that is used by the National
Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), which part of the U.S.
Department of Energy.

DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Tristan Rhodes
Weber State University

cmgreen () UAB EDU 02/06/06 2:20 PM >>>
Good day,

Has anyone gone down the path of shredding hard drives before they
leave
your custody?  Anyone have industrial shredders to recommend?

Our procedures currently are to degauss them but that's a hard one to
verify
that it worked. We're outsourcing most of our media and paper shredding
but
HDs are a separate fee ($20/drive) and not done onsite.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Green