Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background Checks

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:56:50 -0800

Is this similar to what the group-think is for best practices
for those trusted with security investigations and the
sharing of confidential data with various enforcement
agencies and other protected information?

  It seems like a sensible precautionary measure.

  OTOH...  A previous employer of mine decided to do this.  The
firm they hired to perform the checks could not, for some reason,
locate the institution from which I claimed to hold a degree (it
happens to be in Canada).
  So far as I know, there were no follow-up consequences, either to
me (for unsubstantiated resume claims) or to the outside agency
(for being incompetent).
  I advise giving some thought up front to what action, if any, may
be taken based on what the background check might turn up.  i.e.,
establish pass/fail criteria and an appeal mechanism *before*
going fishing.

David Gillett
(Bachelor of Independent Studies, University of Waterloo)