Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blackboard and IE Patch

From: David Lundy <dlundy () PACIFIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:06:32 -0700

Jon:
     I was unaware of their recommendation.  Do you have a link?

David Lundy

----
David Lundy
Acting IT Security Officer
University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA 95211
Email: dlundy () pacific edu
Voice: 209-946-3951
Fax: 209-946-2898

Jon_Allen () BAYLOR EDU 04/18/06 11:50 AM >>>
I was just curious how other institutions that use Blackboard are
handling the recommendation by Blackboard not to apply the latest IE
patches.  Obviously with the package containing multiple patches
including critical security fixes it poses quite the dilemma.  On the
one hand patching could case major issues with a key academic system.
On the other hand not patching places systems at a risk of compromise.
Any philosophies or thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon Allen
Information Security Officer