Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu.com domain

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:57:55 -0400

O'Callaghan, Daniel wrote:

I haven't seen this posted in the group, and it may not be technically a
security issue, but my legal counsel has brought this to me, yours may
do the same.

FYI,

There is a long thread on this issue on the unisog listserv with
subject "Problems with EDU.COM domain".

http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/unisog/2006-March/subject.html

Vantage Media Co., Inc. has registered the domain 'edu.com'.
When the URL of a College/University is entered with .edu.com
(sinclair.edu.com), A page is rendered that appears to provide
information about the school (dynamic html using www harvested info?)
and offers a form to 'Request more information from the Admissions
Department of Sinclair Community College.'  I do not know if they
actually forward the information, it appears the primary purpose is to
harvest information for marketing.  The site also renders for
non-existing entities (i.e. anything.edu.com) and generates a page with
links to online schools, some of which have been suspected of being
diploma mills.

Supposedly, if an 'official request' email is sent to
'changes () vantagemedia com' the company will remove the data that
generates the school's content.  I haven't verified this as yet.

Registrant:
   Vantage Media Corporation

   Registered through: GoDaddy.com
   Domain Name: EDU.COM