Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: unauthenticated network access

From: Steve Lovaas <steven.lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:23:44 -0600

Justin,

This is absolutely the right place for your question!

We've created a guest VLAN that has access only to the Internet on a
very limited number of ports (web, mail, vpn, dns, etc), and we can
either trunk this VLAN to a particular wired port or associate it with a
secondary guest SSID for wireless.

We've put together a self-service Web site for authorized staff users to
request guest IDs for visitors/contractors/conference attendees, and
scripted the addition of these IDs into a separate RADIUS server that
authenticates these users.

This is not quite live, but it's almost ready and we have high hopes
that we can balance the increasing need for unaffiliated guest access to
basic Web services with our need for security and accountability.

Thanks for asking!

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University

Justin Sipher wrote:
Hello all.

I considered where to post this question and decided on the EDUCAUSE
Security list.

<snip>

I hope you feel this falls close enough to "security" to warrant the
post on this list.

Thanks all.
...Justin
  Justin Sipher