Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Has anyone looked at digital archiving?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:03:28 -0700

....  They're only going to be solved by
smarter programmers, and in today's environment I have to say
that I think the state of the art in coding is actually regressing.

  I was chatting just yesterday with someone who is trying to put
together a software start-up, who was remarking on how hard he was
finding it to locate and recruit programmers for Windows whose
knowledge ran deeper than MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes; C++
(and C#?) environment) and Visual BASIC.  Those are fine for quickly
building flashy user interfaces, won't cut it for the kind of system
internals functionality he is trying to build.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP CCSE MCSE

"When people ask me 'How did you learn all of this stuff?', I usually
start with 'I first learned to program on a desktop machine in 1969...',
and they suddenly realize that was before they were BORN."