Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Looking for consesus

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:42:28 -0400

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:14:47 EDT, "Chad McDonald, CISSP" said:

I have been asked to provide realtime information pertaining to who
has access to various systems across campus.  We require the data
owner to sign off on who has access to the systems, so I was
considering publishing on the web a list of names (NOT usernames)
correlating to the systems to which they have access.  I don't see a
need to publish the level of access or any other data than system
name and user's name.

Bad Idea.

First, you'll find that mapping from "user real name" to "userid" is probably
totally trivial in your environment, so it's just a little bit of obfuscation
at best, and is likely to cause issues for yourself. The times you're looking
at the list are almost certainly those exact times when you will *not* remember
that William J Smith has, for hysterical raisins, the userid 'eagle'.  And you
will be off on a while goose chase for why 'eagle' accessed a database, until
you find out that Bill is the #2 DBA guy. ;)

Second, unless you *heavily* secure it, the document becomes a wonderful
roadmap for any hacker that manages to get a copy - he then knows that William J
Smith has access to Interesting Stuff, and if he targets Bill's PC (which is
almost certainly less well secured than the server with the Interesting Stuff),
he can (with very high probability) then use a trust relationship to get from
that PC to the Interesting Stuff.

Third, I sincerely *hope* that your actual business process for granting
any access that would need to be in this database has enough checks and
balances that changes are relatively infrequent and slow, so "realtime"
isn't really needed.  "Fast access to a non-stale version" should be
sufficient - if Bill Smith is a new hire and his DBA access went live
5 minutes ago, you *should* have known that (and made a note of it in the
database) *yesterday*.