Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: hard drive destruction

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:25:31 -0600

Sensitive info by definition has more value than any hard drive.  At
worst a killdisk wipe or heavy degaussing will occur to all drives
managed through our property services.  The unfortunate truth is that
there is little control over this throughout the populace, and I'm sure
sensitive data goes out.  We're working that end.

The actually costs in fines alone of another sensitive data breach here
could reach $1M and climb to >$10M depending, and I don't think that
justifies returning the drive.  We are finding and encouraging the
purchasing of computers from DELL or Gateway with the option to not
return the drive.  An extra $15 up front, but it keeps the warranty
safe.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP