Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

IT Security Professionals and the EDUCAUSE Member Directory

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:31:38 -0500

As many of you know, EDUCAUSE is an institutional membership
organization consisting of over 2,000 colleges and universities.
Each institution is asked to identify a "primary
representative" (usually the CIO or equivalent) and is permitted to
include a number of "participating representatives" (determined by
size of organization).  Additionally, an institution can pay for
additional "subscribing representatives".  As the Director of the
Information Security Office at Yale, I have been included as a
"participating rep" for a number of years and find it very beneficial.

Recently, the primary rep for your organization was sent an email
from EDUCAUSE reminding them to complete the annual "membership
audit".  The email included a statement suggesting that they include
their security officer among the institutional representatives.  If
you are the CISO or equivalent for your institution and not already
identified as a participating representative, I would urge you to
inquire of your CIO or the staff member who completes the audit to
determine if that would be possible.  Among the possible benefits
will include:

*       You will receive a copy of EDUCAUSE Review - a quarterly
publication designed for higher education management.  It will
feature a special focus issue on Privacy and Security this Fall.

*       You will receive a copy of EDUCAUSE Quarterly:  The IT
Practitioners Journal
*       You will be notified of conferences, publications, resources,
and other association news of interest
*       You will be listed in the online member directory (http://
www.educause.edu/MemberDirectory/672)

The inclusion of more security professionals in the EDUCAUSE member
directory will also have the added benefit of making it easier for
all of us to network with each other, including the ability to track
down a fellow security point-of-contact during a moment of crisis.

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
  University Information Security Officer
  Director -- Information Security Office
  Yale University, ITS