Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: POLICY ALERT: College and University CALEA Exemption Rests on Private Network Status

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <jis () MIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:07:36 -0400

I suspect that what the FCC is after is a way to intercept
communications between the "public". If a University connects to the
Internet via an ISP, then they can require that ISP to implement
CALEA. I suspect they mean to require a university to implement CALEA
if there isn't an ISP to do it for them.

As an example, a university providing Internet connectivity between
people in a municipality, who were not affiliated with the university,
would likely be covered by CALEA because Law Enforcement might want to
intercept communications between people in the municipality (aka
between members of the "public") and the only way to do that would be
for the university to implement CALEA because in essence the
university *is* the ISP in this example.

[Reminder: I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary...]

                        -Jeff

--
Jeffrey I. Schiller
MIT Network Manager