Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:02:59 -0500

Hi:

We are designing policy to enforce strong passwords/passphrases that
have expiration dates. I won't go into all the reasons for using strong
passwords even though people tend to write them down but what I have
started recommending is that they store their password lists
electronically in a strong password protected and strongly encrypted
file.  I'm not sure if we will ever stop people from writing passwords
down in an environment where they have to remember multiple passwords
(one for the bank, one for their broker, one for business email, one for
personal email, one for Unix and yet another one for Windows, etc.) so
we might as well start teaching them how to do so securely.

Btw- while keeping a password in their wallet might be viable in some
cases we need to remind the users doing this that they shouldn't do the
same for their ATM pins! :-)

I personally prefer the strong password protected and strongly encrypted
file method and the file can be on their PC or PDA or both.

-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin
CISSP, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Director, Information Security
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177 (w)
513-703-3211 (m)
mclaugkl () ucmail uc edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is
confidential, intended solely for the addressee, and may be legally
privileged. Access to this message and its content by any individual or
entity other than those identified in this message is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this e-mail may be unlawful. Any action taken or omitted
due to the content of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.