Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:31:43 -0500

We've hit that block too, but it appears to be mostly generated from email campaigns to alumni and prospective
students.  The university operations for those areas gather all these personal email addresses, then send an email
campaign to sally () aol com.  Sally receives the email and marks it as spam.  Enough Sallys and all email from the
domain is blocked.  Certainly forwarding contributes to the situation, but so far, it seems that the bigger campaigns
are the problem.
Theresa