Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Security Policies/Practices for Staff

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:57:42 -0500

Mike-

In our Systems and Networking groups we have instituted a de-facto
policy of using GnuPG in conjunction with The Enigmail plugin for
Mozilla Thunderbird.  The GnuPGP + Enigmail combo allows us to easily
sign and encrypt sensitive email (root passwords, etc) to one or more
individuals and on the receiving end the recipient just needs to enter
his/her PGP passphrase to decrypt the message right within the t-bird
message pane.

Enigmail also includes a basic key management interface so its really a
self-contained solution.  Enigmail is available at
http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

Regards,

Jeff Giacobbe
Montclair State University

Mike Wiseman wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested to find out if institutions are implementing
policies/practices/services on using email with sensitive or
confidential content. I'm thinking of staff working in HR,
administration, financial, admissions, network operations, etc. who want
to (or do) use email and need end-to-end security services to
reduce exposure to forgery and information compromise. Services such
as email authentication (digital signing via S/MIME or PGP) and/or
encryption (S/MIME, encrypted archives, key storage).

The issue comes up occasionally and people like me give the usual 'don't
do it - it's not secure' line. I'd like to look at recommending products
and/or providing the services required.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto