Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SURVEY: Research Institutions / Border Firewalls

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:58:00 -0800

Chris Green wrote:

In part of proposing campus firewall solutions, we wish to include some
perspective on what other Research Universities are doing for border
firewalls.   Please reply directly to myself and I’ll summarize replies
back to the list.  I will remove your identity from your answer if you
request it.

5)      Do you use primarily use dark IP addressing?

Dark IP addressing is where you take unused globally-routable IP address
blocks and route them to a host that monitors activity (like port scans)
that come in through those blocks.  Is that what you meant to ask?