Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Extremely High Spam Statistics

From: "Br. Kenneth Arnold" <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:17:13 -0600

We use Barracuda and have run between  78 and 85% spam for the last four days.

At 06:51 PM 2/12/2007, you wrote:
Hello,

I would be interested in comparing our spam stats with other
institutions.  We are currently sent around around 450 000 emails
per day, of which 98-99% are spam leaving around 5000 valid email
messages passed through.  This is transparent to our uses who only
receive valid email.

Are other institution's spam levels this high?  I would be very
interested in hearing stats as I thought global rates were only around 90-95%.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

(02 6620 3290   7              02 6620 3033   - tlane () scu edu au
8 <http://www.scu.edu.au>http://www.scu.edu.au

Brother Kenneth Arnold, FSC
Director of Network Systems
Christian Brothers University