Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Partial SSN as Authenticator

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:33:42 -0700

FYI: Here is the SS administration page on the formation of SSN's:
http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/geocard.html which links to a table of
the max current group numbers for each issued area number.  It can be
helpful in validating SSN's, although while working with Spider, we
found that validating down to that detail level wasn't very useful as it
eliminated very few false positives (as compared to the reg ex's we
ended up using).

The problem of 'alternate authentication' is a tough one, particularly
if it's for first time authentication (i.e. prior to an opportunity to
ask a user for a 'security question' or something similar) - we usually
have limited pieces of data about a user to work with and even fewer
that aren't easily discovered.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
Information Technology Services