Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spam return address backlash

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:08:53 -0500

 Dick Jacobson ventured to comment, at 1/10/07 1:51 PM:
I have heard from a couple external users that are pretty irate that our
bounces are going to them when their address was spoofed.  They say that
the RFC is wrong and we should just reconfigure our environment according
to their specifications.  In fact, that is SpamCop's contention also.  We
haven't done that yet.

I'm certainly not rabid on the topic, but generally I agree, the RFC reflects
the courtesy of a gentler age. If possible, bounce messages should not be sent
so liberally as we once have done.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

"We need a kind of feminism that aims not just to assimilate into the
institutions that men have created over the centuries, but to infiltrate and
subvert them." -- Barbara Ehrenreich.