Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Business Continuity Plans for an Information Security Office

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:59:50 -0700

To take Steven's thoughts a step further,

It is also critically important to have strategic and senior management
granting criticality direction as part of a well developed BIA.  It is
unfortunate that the BIA's that do exist are often sponsored by IT
departments and not management.  Ask any department, any function what
is critical and they'll all have an opinion.  In the event of a larger
scale interruption however, you cannot afford to sort out the loudest
screams - decisions must be made on a criticality and business process
basis.  In the best imagined approach the BIA would exist whether or not
IT was involved, and IT's position would be one relegated to supporting
the items identified as "critical" in the BIA.  What part does IT play
in those processes deemed critical?  Instead the BIA efforts are often
skewed towards IT supported processes only, and real criticality is
masked by the desire to serve all customers, given all customers can
find something "critical" in their operation.  Reality says that in the
worst cases, certain programs, schools, even whole campuses may simply
cease to exist as a reaction to the rare event.  That is a call that is
difficult to make in the middle of a crisis if the consideration has not
already occurred.

Said more simply, IT should be one of many service functions that
designs recovery and continuity plans based on a business oriented (not
IT oriented) BIA.  Approval, testing, and evaluation must then involve
the managers and providers of those services and data items that are
critical, based on the BIA.  That's the first order of business GIVEN a
large scale disastrous event.  Certainly recovery capability and plans
will exist and should for the more common, lesser impact events, but a
proper view of criticality is instructive in right sizing a solution for
every event.  Even small events can have wide-spread high-impact
consequences.  In one case I was involved in a small office fire at the
opposite end of the office building destroyed all 70+ computing devices
as well as telephones, copiers, fax machines and other equipment over a
period of 2 to 3 months.  The acids in the smoke damaged the gold leads
in most of the circuitry of the modern equipment and despite an attempt
to clean all these devices at a fairly high cost, every one of them had
to be replaced.  This is not of the scale of a Katrina event, but the
consequences were nearly as severe, just spread out a bit.

The root of it all is still that whether you plan for a large scale or
smaller scale event, your resources will only be responsibly applied
when your objectives and requirements are well defined.  Most of us
never get that part done well and thus our plans suffer no matter what
scale we focus on.  It is possible to expend too much energy on recovery
of systems that are not that important and critical to the institution,
and this happens often because we don't have good criticality direction
- rather we try to be good citizens and support it all equally.
Criticality is key to either large scale or small scale events. Only a
few of us carry the signature authority and granted responsibility for
that level of decision making, yet we tend to operate our recovery
analysis and plans far below that organizational level.

Don't mistake me as saying lower levels of the organization are not
involved, or IT shouldn't be active in the process.  These groups must
be involved, but in league with and in support of strategic decision
making, as "disaster" events are rare, highly impacting by definition.
Strategic input is far too rare, and in my observation most plans go
overboard on less important systems and the most critical do not get the
degree of support/testing/assurance they require.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP

IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit