Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

POint of Sale Device

From: "Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC)" <Nathan-Gibson () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:15:16 -0500

Does anyone know of a tool/product that can be used to check a credit
card point of sale device to make sure it does not store credit card
information?  To give you a picture of what I am talking about. Let say
you walked into a gas station and purchased a soda with your CC. The
attendant swipes your card in a little black box that sits on the edge
of the counter. It does not tie into an application, just a device with
a modem that sends the information to a bank for processing. I want to
be able to check the device to make sure it is not storing information
locally?

Rumor has it, a University somewhere Colorado did this once and I
wondered if anyone knows of any tools/solutions out there that could
help.  Any information about a solution/outside vendor would be greatly
appreciated.

V/R,

Nathan J Gibson, CISSP