Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Google search appliance deployments

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:43:32 -0500

Steve Brukbacher wrote:
Hi David,
We have been running one of these for about a year.  One thing we did is
design a perl script to search our domain for SSN's and some other types
of confidential data.

Do you have a script that you could share?  That automation task has
never percolated up to the top of the heap for me.

One issue that we've run into with the google appliance is the ability
to do http://appliance/search?q=query rather than the default
collections ( I forget the real terminology ).  What seemed to be an
issue for us was that you couldn't configure the default website and a
lot of pure google seemed to leak through.  Also, by not being able to
configure it, we found that sometimes you could expunge data quickly
from a collection but it would still hang out on the appliance.

I'm glad you brought it up because I don't recall receiving adequate
closure on that issue.