Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on Jericho Forum

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:09:34 -0600

Thanks, Deke, for illuminating some of the unstated assumptions that are always present in analogies. You're right that
the strength of the analogy depends on where you put the border.

The reason I chose the front door, other than familiarity, is that I have good reason to feel justified in controlling
everything that happens inside my house (cats aside). The city limits, on the other hand, represent a different balance
of control, usage, and risk. The farther out you put a broad-based filtering mechanism (think: the wall between Texas
and Mexico), the less likely it is to be the most effective solution. On the other hand, the closer you place
protective mechanisms (the bedroom safe), the more of them you require ($$) and the more likely you are to miss some.

You might argue that my analogy works better for supporting departmental firewalls rather than a border one. I think
you'd be right. We have a border firewall, but I don't view it as more than a "public health" sort of measure, and I
don't make server admins write a novel when they want a hole poked for a real application. The bulk of the protection
of the truly important parts of our network lies in a combination of host-based security and departmental network
control.

Good insights...

And just for the record, I'd love to work in an organization that could run itself according to the Jericho ideas. It
would free me to do some more interesting work on the real security threats inside: the people.

Steve

Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network Security Manager
Academic Computing & Network Services