Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Training advice

From: "Vanderbilt, Teresa" <tvanderb () OZARKS EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:01:42 -0500

I recently stepped into the title of Security Manager. We're a small
school and this is a new position for us. I'd only maintained the
servers, switches and firewalls before. I have no one to mentor me and
very little budget for training. I can spend approximately $3-5K on
formal training this year. I was thinking of a good online class so all
the money goes toward training rather than hotels and travel. Until now,
everything I've learned has been mostly on my own; although I recently
attended Pentration Testing Training. What other training, both formal
and informal, would benefit me and my school the most? I've been
thinking of CCNA and I would like to learn how to use Snort since it's
free. Will CCNA be beneficial or should I buy a good beginners book on
Snort. Am I way off the mark for what I need to study? I need to get up
to speed quickly and can't afford to guess at what I need. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Teresa Vanderbilt
University of the Ozarks