Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Electronic card access/facilities

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:41:08 -0400

Garcia, Gisela A wrote:
Some of our IT Security staff is responsible for the CSGOLD system that
manages card readers which provide physical access to buildings and
classrooms all over the campus.  Can anyone share policies/practices
used by higher ed institutions that establish a custodian-type
role/responsibilities for granting/controlling/monitoring/removing
access privileges to facilities on campus?   Any help would be most
appreciated.

We've integrated a sort of role-based control of certain aspects of the
access control system into our Banner setup here at Canisius. This
allows us to assign cardswipe rights to certain people for certain rooms
(the faculty of a department for their particular lab, for example).
Contact me off-list if you like and I can get some more details.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu